Monday, July 26, 2010

Week 1-Over!

It is exactly a week since my operation. I went to the doctor's today and lost a whopping 13 pounds! It's quite ironic being that the last time I was there, over 2 weeks ago, I gained weight. I was definitely ecstatic to see that. My stitches are healing nicely and any aches or pains I experience are normal. I am now able to eat pureed foods for the next 2 weeks. I still have to drink my 3 protein shakes a day, in addition to my 3 meals a day. Now, folks please do not be mistaken when I say "meals". We are talking 4-6 tablespoons per meal AND it must take me a good 1/2 hour- 45 minutes to complete the meal. I'm not complaining, trust me! As soon as I got home, I made myself 3 tablespoons of scrambled eggs and 1 tablespoon of oatmeal. Tonight I'm going to enjoy pureed string beans that I made myself. It's all mind over matter at this point.

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm hungry or what am I doing not to be hungry. I must make it clear that I'm rarely hungry. The dietician told me today that I must increase my fluids because I'm not taking enough in. When I do get "hungry" it's not the same type of hunger pains one experiences. It's more or less a slight feeling of emptiness. This weekend I experienced it and all I did was increase my liquid volume, which did the job. The protein shakes keep me satisfied and let me tell you, I had NO idea how much my body was lacking it! My nails never looked better and are actually growing! I just feel so good inside and out and do not regret this decision one bit.

I'm also experiencing my clothes fitting me big. Yesterday afternoon we went out to eat at Carmine's in NYC for my Nonno's 80th birthday. The dress I was looking forward to wearing actually fit big! I had to borrow one from my sister and am thankful she had something for me. That was very overwhelming for me and I did start to cry. I'm used to things not fitting (fitting too tight) and the fact that this is the first time in God knows how long that it's fitting big, it was very emotional for me. In addition, being at Carmine's did not bother me one bit. Of course everything smelled wonderful and my stomach did grumble here and there. But the waiter was excellent and brought me some broth and that hit the spot for me. I wanted this change and am therefore willing to do whatever it takes.

I'm able to drive again and must start walking. I am still weak so this is still a challenge for me but I'm going to do whatever it takes. I'm excited that I made this life changing decision and know there's no turning back! Until next time....xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! My husband started the preop proceedures. I am happy for you. I like that you were able to go to a party and enjoy the company and not worry about the food. Congratulations in conquering hunger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! The pre-op procedures are rough, I'm not going to lie. I started to get used to it around day 4 so by the time the operation came around, it was no big deal. I don't know how well I would have done if I had to do liquids for 2 weeks though. Then again, it is mind over matter. Tell him to take advantage of the raw veggies. I ate them like crazy! And I found that making my own pudding/jello actually forced me to become conscience of portions. Little things like that make a huge difference. Best of luck to him!!

    ReplyDelete